Are you ready to own a Lafayette Habitat for Humanity home?
The following are the general guidelines Lafayette Habitat for Humanity uses when selecting participants for the Habitat for Humanity Homeownership Program.
If you are not sure whether you meet these guidelines, we encourage you to apply anyway.
1. U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident
2.Currently live OR work in Acadiana for at least the past year
3. Demonstrate a NEED FOR HOUSING because current housing is not adequate (meaning it is unsafe, not maintained, overcrowded, temporary, and/or unaffordable)
4. Demonstrate an ABILITY TO PAY
- Prove a steady source of income
- Show good credit with few bad debts
- Demonstrate a positive monthly cash-flow (a net balance of cash on-hand after all expenses are paid)
- Yearly income falls within the minimum and maximum limits below:
2018 Lafayette Parish Guidelines
|People in the
Taxes More Than
Taxes Less Than
5. WILLING TO PARTNER with Lafayette Habitat for Humanity
As part of the Partnership Program, you will be required to spend a minimum of 300-450 hours helping to build Habitat homes, including your own. Sweat equity opportunities on the construction site are available Tuesdays-Saturdays, year-round. You are also required to attend homeownership classes.
If you (and your co-applicant, if you have one) are not sure if you meet these guidelines, we encourage you to apply anyway.
Please also see our Frequently Asked Questions for more detail about our selection process.
If you would like to apply for the Habitat Homeownership Program, visit the How to Apply page to learn about the process and to find out if and when we are accepting applications.
Lafayette Habitat for Humanity is pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation or sources of income.